Thursday, February 5, 2009

The "L" Word...But The Real Kind!

In relationships, the "L" word marks a milestone. In the younger ages, we tend to throw the word around, as if it has no meaning. But as we mature and hopefully, get wiser, we begin to associate the "L" word with an immense amount of commitment...it comes with responsibilities that we don't want to be held accountable for until we are certain about our partners. Often times, we wait a very long time before we even utter sentences that could be interpreted as love.

But then...the moment we come to terms with ourselves and realize that we have fallen in love, it is often difficult for us to stop thinking about the other person. We wonder where they are, what they're doing, what they like and dislike, what would make them happy or sad, etc. It almost seems as if our behaviors change to satisfy the other person.

I was reading Plato's "Dialogues" last night. In a part of one of the early discussions, Phadrus is the first to express his admiration for Eros. In this speech, he mentions that a man in love would surely not let himself be seen by his beloved (i.e. Eros), beyond all others, performing any shameful behaviors. While I can clearly see the application of this principle to the loving relationships between two individuals, I was more interested in its relevance to the love between a creature and its creator.

As I have perhaps hinted in my previous blogs, I sincerely believe in the existence of a Source more powerful than myself. I don't know what I would call this Source...I like the name Divine...or simply, the Source! Regardless, the semantics are a moot discussion. The salient point is that I believe in a more supreme being, but I also recognize that understanding the nature of this being is well beyond my intelligence (in fact, if I did understand this being, wouldn't we be equals and thus, wouldn't that negate the possibility of its existence?!) Nonetheless, for as long as I have sincerely believed in its presence, I have tried to establish a relationship with him/her/it in the best way I could. I have tried to....love this Source. It's not easy!! It's so much easier to love someone who is tangibly present in your daily life....but over time, I have realized that this Source has effects that permeate my daily experiences and the reality of those experiences could be just as tangible as the apparent presence of this being. And every time that I come face to face with one of these experiences, my admiration, connection....love....for this being grows exponentially. I never really thought about what that love means though....Plato's Dialogues has given me a practical starting point! If you believe in this Supreme being, do you truly love him/her/it? Have you ever thought about a way to assess this love?! Next time you are about to do something, think: "would I do this if he/she/it was here?"!!! Just some food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment