Thursday, January 8, 2009

What is good behavior?

In my line of work, frustration is not only commonplace, but expected. Just as all other human beings, I can hardly tolerate failure, let alone embrace it. So, when things go wrong, I, similar to my colleagues, have a single immediate reaction: I cuss the world out!

Today, I was giving the notion of rude behavior some thought. If I'm cussing myself out, or if I "offend" my computer, my pens, my workstation, etc., is that really considered uncouth? I almost never address anyone in an aggressive/offensive manner (unless in a joke, of course). If I'm not cussing out any particular individual, is it "bad behavior"? Presently, the media is very free and open about cuss words...we hear it in movies, on TV, on the radio, and especially in the pop/new age music. Everyone around me is always cussing too, even my boss. It almost seems as if the current generation has developed a significant level of tolerance towards the notion of cussing...the words may perhaps be thought of as part of our daily language. BUT...does all this mean that the use of cuss words is acceptable behavior? Would I ever freely cuss at a large meeting?

No comments:

Post a Comment